Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier both need to have issues with their left eyes checked out following their heavyweight title trilogy bout at UFC 252 on Saturday.
MMA Junkie obtained the full list from the Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday. Fighters can return sooner than the duration of their suspension if cleared by a doctor.
Miocic (20-3 MMA, 14-3 UFC) and Cormier (22-3 MMA, 11-3 UFC) had a grueling five-round fight in the headliner of the event at UFC Apex in Las Vegas, with Miocic keeping the belt. A second-round eye poke on Cormier apparently tore his cornea, and that’s one of the issues “DC” will need checked out post-fight. Miocic, meanwhile, needs hie eye examined, too.
Outside of the main event, bantamweight prospect Sean O’Malley (12-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) faces the longest medical suspension. He hurt his leg in a first-round TKO loss in the co-main event, and will need his ankle cleared, otherwise he’s out until February 2021.
Complete UFC 252 medical suspensions included:
- Stipe Miocic: Must have retinal specialist clearance on left eye; minimum suspension until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20
- Daniel Cormier: Must have left eye cleared by an ophthalmologist or no contest until 2/12/21. Minimum suspension until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20
- Marlon Vera: No suspension
- Sean O’Malley: Must have orthopedic doctor clearance on right ankle or no contest until 2/12/21. Minimum suspension until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik: No suspension
- Junior Dos Santos: Must have laceration under left eye cleared by a doctor or no contest until 10/15/20, no contact until 9/30/20
- Daniel Pineda: Suspended until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20 due to left eyebrow laceration
- Herbert Burns: Suspended until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20 due to right eyebrow laceration
- Merab Dvalishvili: No suspension
- John Dodson: No suspension
- Vinc Pichel: No suspension
- Jim Miller: Must have cut on bridge of nose cleared by doctor or no contest until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20
- Virna Jandiroba: No suspension
- Felice Herrig: No suspension
- Danny Chavez: No suspension
- TJ Brown: Must have left orbital fracture cleared by an ophthalmologist or no contest until 2/12/21. Minimum suspension until 9/15/20 with no contact until 9/6/20
- Livinha Souza: No suspension
- Ashley Yoder: No suspension
- Chris Daukaus: No suspension
- Parker Porter: Suspended until 9/15/20, no contact until 9/6/20
- Kai Kamaka: Must have facial lacerations cleared by doctor or no contest until 9/30/20, no contact until 9/15/20
- Tony Kelley: Suspended until 9/15/20, no contact until 9/6/20 due to forehead laceration
Original Article posted mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/08/ufc-252-medical-suspensions-stipe-miocic-daniel-cormier-need-eye-clearance/ by Mike Bohn