Valentin Moldavsky added a big name to his resume.
The Russian heavyweight picked up a dominant decision win over seasoned veteran Roy Nelson on the main card of Friday’s Bellator 244. The event took place at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. and simulcasted on Paramount Network and DAZN.
Moldavsky (10-1 MMA, 5-0 BMMA) defeated Nelson (23-19 MMA, 1-5 BMMA) 30-27 on all three judges’ scorecards.
The bout was a largely one-sided affair. In all three rounds, Moldavsky used his speed and movement, being the lighter fighter, to circle on the outside and land shots while avoiding Nelson’s power punches.
Moldavsky also proved to be better in the clinch, as both fighters locked up multiple times. The 28-year-old Russian heavyweight controlled Nelson while landing many shots from close quarters.
Moldavsky is on a five-fight winning streak and remains unbeaten inside the Bellator cage. The combat sambo world champion’s lone loss was a split decision to Amir Aliakbari in RIZIN back in 2016.
Meanwhile, Nelson is now on a five-fight losing streak. He’s also 3-10 in his past 13 bouts. Nelson’s last win was in 2017 against Javy Ayala at Bellator 183.
According to MMA Junkie’s Nolan King, Nelson asked Bellator president Scott Coker for one more bout before hanging up the gloves. He’d like to have a trilogy bout with Matt Mitrione.
Up-to-the-minute Bellator 244 results include:
- Valentin Moldavsky def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- John Salter def. Andrew Kapel via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 3:11
- Yaroslav Amosov def. Mark Lemminger via TKO (doctor stoppage) – Round 1, 5:00
- Sidney Outlaw def. Adam Piccolotti via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Josh Hill def. Erik Perez via unanimous (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Weber Almeida def. Salim Mukhidinov via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 3:57
- John de Jesus def. Vladyslav Parubchenkno via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Chris Gonzalez def. Vladimir Tokov via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Lucas Brennan def. Will Smith via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:14
Original Article posted mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/08/bellator-244-results-valentin-moldavsky-outworks-roy-nelson-in-dominant-decision-win/ by Danny Segura